Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do small halachos really matter

Do small halachos really matter 6 years 8 months ago #678

• Gingy
  • Be yourself- everyone else is taken
I mean there's all this big stuff like davening and whatever, but does God really care if don't tie my shoes corrects or cut my nails in the correct order?
Someimes I pretend to be normal...but then it gets boring.

So I go back to being me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do small halachos really matter 6 years 8 months ago #682

If God's just being a boss, then you're probably right. The "big stuff" (showing up to work on time, fulfilling your basic responsibilities) is the most important. And how neat your desk is or who you schmooze with in the cafeteria doesn't matter all that much.
But the reality is that the goal of Judaism is for you to have a RELATIONSHIP with God (see Devarim 10:12 "Am Yisroel! What does Hashem want from you? To be in awe of Him, to walk in His ways, to love Him....)
In a relationship, it's ALL about the details. It's one thing for me to tell my wife that I love her and to buy her a beautiful present for her birthday. But the real sign of the relationship is knowing that when she's not feeling well, she likes a cup of chamomile tea with half a spoon of brown sugar, WITH a matching cup and saucer.

Since my relationship with God is constant, just like my relationship with my wife, I want to find ways to express the relationship whenever possible, especially because God's more invisible than my wife! So if I can even bring an awareness of that relationship into tying my shoes, or cutting my nails, or even just saying Baruch Hashem when it's a beautiful day, I'm recasting my Judaism as a system of chances to connect, not duties to fulfill. Opportunities, not just obligations.
Rabbi Moshe Zeldman lectures on a wide variety of Jewish topics to audiences around the world. He teaches Jewish philosophy at the Aish HaTorah Yeshiva in Jerusalem to both beginners and advanced students, as well as many other educational institutions in Israel. He also lectures internationally for the world-famous Discovery Seminar. Born and raised in Canada, Rabbi Zeldman did his undergraduate work in Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy at the University of Toronto. During his studies he developed an interest in political issues affecting the Jewish community, and became involved in student activism, becoming national chairman of the Jewish Students Network, and served on the board of the World Union of Jewish Students. His interests in Jewish leadership and advocacy led him eventually to pursue studies in traditional Judaism. He made aliyah in 1991 and received rabbinical ordination from Yeshivat Aish HaTorah in Jerusalem. He teaches a variety of Jewish topics for Aish HaTorah, AEPi, Birthright, the Maimonides program at Princeton, Tel Aviv and Hebrew University, NCSY, Hillel, and the esteemed University of Cambridge Cholent Society. He has helped establish outreach centers in South and Central America, has lectured to Jewish communities in over 15 countries around the world, and founded the Core18 Leaders Lab for Jewish social entrepreneurs. Rabbi Zeldman lives in Jerusalem with his family.

Do small halachos really matter 6 years 8 months ago #705

• Gingy
  • Be yourself- everyone else is taken
That's a really good answer actually....
Someimes I pretend to be normal...but then it gets boring.

So I go back to being me.

Do small halachos really matter 5 years 10 months ago #896

• Not Sure
  • Thank you received: 3
Rabbi Wallerstein answers a very similar answer:
When you ask if Hashem really cares about which shoe, etc, the answer is YES-
He wants to be in your shoe, Your nails and every other detail because He Loves you and wants to have a relationship with you. This way, by setting up these specific ways of doing things, He gets to spend time with you throughout the whole day!

Do small halachos really matter 5 years 10 months ago #897

• Hadas Bat-el
  • Administrator
  • Founder of FHO
  • Thank you received: 20
Love this!
Welcome to the FHO forum!
I'm Hadas Bat-el founder of FHO! I'm also a poet, blogger, writer, copywriter, and proud redhead! You can read my blog here: frumhangout.com/index.php/blog/item/hadas-bat-el-2 , I post every Sunday!

I can't wait to get to know you all! So what are you waiting for?! START POSTING!

You can also reach me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions, comments, or you want to help with the site!

Do small halachos really matter 5 years 10 months ago #912

• Malach136
  • Thank you received: 11
love that answer 'not sure'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

Do small halachos really matter 5 years 10 months ago #920

• Not Sure
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks!
That's one of the shiurim that I keep in my head all the time :)
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds