Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exceptions for not listening to music during 3 weeks/sefirah

Exceptions for not listening to music during 3 weeks/sefirah 5 years 8 months ago #938

• Rena
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi guys! Just wanted to share this all with you!
I recently heard from 2 different poskim, plus read in the artscroll book on the 3 weeks (This one: www.artscroll.com/Books/9781422609071.html) that music is permitted not only to help physical health (if you take dance classes or go jogging) but also for mental health.

So although I don't suffer from anxiety, lots of my friends do and I wanted to let you guys know that if you do suffer from a mental health condition, or you're just in a place where music would benefit your mental health you CAN listen to regular music for that purpose!

Actually in the 3 weeks book the example given was someone who suffers from anxiety, which is a very common issue many teens deal with.

I can confirm this from my Rabbi, but as always, ask your own!
- Hadas Bat-el
It got dark, you think you've been buried but in reality you've just been planted.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Hadas Bat-el.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Exceptions for not listening to music during 3 weeks/sefirah 5 years 8 months ago #941

• StillFighting
  • Thank you received: 9
Rena, Even though there are heterim and many poskim that do hold that way. If possible, its admirable if a person can hold back for 3 short weeks to set the proper tone.
I only mention this as people are lenient and take it a bit far sometimes. In place and as instructed do whats best for the each one of you. If you can hold out for the little while and feel the galut i'm sure the joy after will be tenfold.

Exceptions for not listening to music during 3 weeks/sefirah 5 years 8 months ago #943

• Hadas Bat-el
  • Administrator
  • Founder of FHO
  • Thank you received: 20
When it comes to your health, you definitely can listen to music.
I disagree StillFighting, it's admirable to say you need this and stop suffering. I also know many people with anxiety, and if have never experienced it first or second hand you have no idea how it can destroy someone's mental and emotional wellbeing.
Welcome to the FHO forum!
I'm Hadas Bat-el founder of FHO! I'm also a poet, blogger, writer, copywriter, and proud redhead! You can read my blog here: frumhangout.com/index.php/blog/item/hadas-bat-el-2 , I post every Sunday!

I can't wait to get to know you all! So what are you waiting for?! START POSTING!

You can also reach me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions, comments, or you want to help with the site!

Exceptions for not listening to music during 3 weeks/sefirah 5 years 6 months ago #973

• Rena
  • Thank you received: 6
Well said Hadas Bat-el.
It got dark, you think you've been buried but in reality you've just been planted.
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds