Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Musical Instruments on Shabbos

Musical Instruments on Shabbos 8 years 4 months ago #293

• Malki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
Question of the Week:

I have taken on the challenge and started keeping Shabbos properly. No phone, no driving, no work, and actually it's no big deal. I love it. The only thing that bothers me is not playing musical instruments. I am a mad guitarist and it would so enhance my day if I could play. It's not work, it's a pleasure. So why is it forbidden?

Answer:

We sing on Shabbos. But we don't play instruments. And that is what Shabbos is all about.

For six days we are all musicians, playing in a grand orchestra called civilization. Whether a baker or a banker, housewife or herbalist, trainer or town planner, mechanic or microbiologist, each one plays their part in the symphony, advancing and improving the world we live in. We utilize every instrument available, using human ingenuity to make music out of the madness and bring harmony to the cacophony. Our mission during the working week is to fine tune the world and bring it closer to its purpose.

Then Shabbos comes. On Shabbos, we stop plucking the strings and banging the drums. We put all external instruments aside, and stripped of the trappings of technology we are free to just be. We cease creating and start existing. We stop what we are doing and focus on being. On the day of rest we are not changing the external world, we are enjoying the inner world.

But the music doesn't stop. Even on Shabbos, the symphony continues. But it comes from an even deeper place. On Shabbos, we internalize the music. We become the music. We are the music. So we sing.

The very thing that makes Shabbos hard for you is what will make it so powerful. You are being asked to go beyond your outer self and uncover a yet untapped layer of your soul. For you this will be achieved by not playing music, but being the music.

On Shabbos, there are no instruments, there's just you as G-d created you. Let your song come out.

-- Rabbi Moss
'A person can't decide to sit on the sidelines in this world. Once we're born, we're on the playing field that means we have to pick up that ball of life's challenges and begin running with it towards our goal'
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadas Bat-el

Musical Instruments on Shabbos 8 years 4 months ago #294

• Ellie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
How about instead creating a thread called question of the week where you'll put it all in one thread?

Musical Instruments on Shabbos 8 years 4 months ago #295

• Malki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
Nice idea.. wanna post another question for this week?
'A person can't decide to sit on the sidelines in this world. Once we're born, we're on the playing field that means we have to pick up that ball of life's challenges and begin running with it towards our goal'

Musical Instruments on Shabbos 8 years 4 months ago #296

• Ellie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I don't get to contact R' Moss for his questions for the week...

Kay, this is a question I found:

Q: I have a water filter on my sink. Is it a problem of בורר to use that faucet on Shabbos, being that I am using a 1) specialized tool to filter the 2) bad from the good?

A: The הלכה depends on what the filter's purpose is:

 If the filter is there merely to enhance the taste of the water, and you are not מקפיד to only drink water with the filter, then you can use the faucet with the filter on Shabbos to drink from.

 If the filter is there to prevent one from drinking water that has bugs in it, then some פוסקים say that one should let the water run a little extra before filling up a cup to drink. Other פוסקים say that one may not turn on the water in order to fill a cup to drink.
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds