Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: If G-D is All Good...

If G-D is All Good... 6 years 7 months ago #697

• Showjoe
  • Thank you received: 1
HI guys!

There is one question that I have had in my life, and it happens to be a well-know religion question.

The question is, if Hashem is truly all good and want for our best (and is all powerful), than how come we have to struggle life to do the right thing.

If it is truly in our best interest not to talk-to/talk-about/look-at/think-about/have-any-thing-to-do-with girls then why doesn't Hashem just put us in a world where we dont want to do it?
If its for our best to listen to our parents all the time, why do we not want to?

Why do we have to struggle in order for Hashem to reward us/do-whats-best-for-us, why cant he just reward us w/o the struggle. After all whats best for us seems to be the reward, and surly G-D, who is all powerful, can give the reward without us having to fullfill any qualifications?

But lets take this a step farther, the best thing for us seems to be to be able to be Nennah M'ziv HaShcheina in Gan Eden. so why does G-D even bother to put us through this world? If Hashem wants to do whats best for us, just put us straight to Gan Eden!

So, to summarize, IF [A] G-D only does the best thing for us [B} the best thing for us is to be close to G-D [C] G-D is all powerful and nothing can stop Him from doing what He wants THEN why doesn't He make us automatically close to him.

Such good questions! I hope to get you an answer within the next few days. Sorry it took so long to post... Bein Hazmanim.....
- Hadas Batel .
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Hadas Bat-el.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

If G-D is All Good... 6 years 7 months ago #702

Dear showJoe,

As you mentioned, your question is a classical issue in Judaism and life. It is really addressed in the final mishnah in the 5th perek of PA – “L'fum tza'arah agra – According to the effort is the benefit.” I often refer to this mishnah as “the great equalizer.” Regardless of how much talent or intelligence you are born with, your achievement and evaluation in life is exclusively a function of the work and effort you invest into whatever you do. We all, therefore, have the equal ability to be great in how we live our lives.

Your question reminds me of a time when I asked someone about something that my computer was doing. The person responded by telling me – “That is not a problem, it is actually a feature!” And once he explained its purpose, I saw this as well. I will say the same thing about Hashem building effort and struggle into the fabric of life – “That is not a problem, it is actually a feature!”

Think about the accomplishments that you got real satisfaction from. It is really the fact that you worked so hard to do it that was the most satisfying. Imagine if your parents would have given you everything you wanted with no effort required from you. You would end up as a spoiled brat who wouldn't even appreciate whatever you had.

By building this into the creation, Hashem gives us the ability to emulate Him. He is completely independent, and this gives us an aspect of independence as well. In fact, the only way for Hashem to give us this ultimate pleasure of being like Him, is to give us these challenges that we need to overcome. This then allows us to be able to enjoy the pleasure of our accomplishments when we get to Gan Eden.

I hope that this is clear. If not, or if you have any other questions, please let me know. Be well.

Rabbi Asher Resnick
JewishClarity.com
Rabbi Asher Resnick was born and raised in LA, and graduated from UCLA with a BA in Psychology. He received rabbinic ordination from Aish HaTorah and the Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem. He served as a senior lecturer at the Institute of Jewish Legal and Medical Ethics in San Francisco, and at the Aish HaTorah Branch in New York. Rabbi Resnick is currently one of the Educational Coordinators of Aish's Executive Learning Center, and a senior training lecturer for Aish HaTorah's Rabbinical Ordination program. As a close student of Rav Noach Weinberg zt"l, he developed a special expertise in addressing fundamental issues in Judaism, as well as in bringing classical texts to life. He is now bringing the Jewish clarity he has developed over his past thirty-five years of experience as a teacher, writer, and teacher-trainer, to the wider Jewish world.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardworking
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds