Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Proof that there is only one G-D?

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #953

• fcmt
I've studied the proofs of G-D and I understand that he definitely exists, but I haven't found a proof that there is ONLY one G-D/First Cause, can one of the Rabbi's please provide a proof that there is only one G-D, in a easy to understand way?
Thanks

Sorry for the late response. Just sent them this their way and I will post an answer when I get one. I believe Hashem says so, in the tanach, in Shema: "Hashem Elokeinu, Hashem Echad"
- Hadas Bat-el
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Hadas Bat-el.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #955

• fcmt
I believe Hashem says so, in the tanach, in Shema: "Hashem Elokeinu, Hashem Echad"
- Hadas Bat-el

I wouldn't count that as a proof. If one were to imagine that there were 2 G-D's and one of the 2 G-D's said there is only one G-D, would that be a proof that there is only one G-D?
Hope you understand why I don't agree with your answer.

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #956

• Boruch Gold
  • Thank you received: 1
My question to you is what is the definition of GOD?
To me it means The Super power who created and runs this world.
I dont think he did it with a freind!
Make sense/

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #958

• Hadas Bat-el
  • Administrator
  • Founder of FHO
  • Thank you received: 20
fctm than one of the "gods" would be lying. Hashem doesn't lie to us. If he would lie about having a "friend" than how do you know anything else in the tanach is true?
Welcome to the FHO forum!
I'm Hadas Bat-el founder of FHO! I'm also a poet, blogger, writer, copywriter, and proud redhead! You can read my blog here: frumhangout.com/index.php/blog/item/hadas-bat-el-2 , I post every Sunday!

I can't wait to get to know you all! So what are you waiting for?! START POSTING!

You can also reach me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions, comments, or you want to help with the site!

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #960

a) Through the first cause argument, we arrive at the idea that because there's a finite physical world, there must be something infinite, non-physical, unlimited that created it. Because if the creator was also finite, then he's another part of the physical, which still needs a greater infinite thing to create it.

b) There can't be two (or more) entities that are both defined as infinite. In order for there to be 2 of them, something must distinguish god A from god B. And if either of them have something that the other doesn't, then it's lacking and therefore it's not really infinite! For example, the Zoroastrians believe that there are 2 gods that created the world- a good god who does the good stuff, and a bad god who does the bad stuff. Well, god A only controls the good and he's therefore limited. Same with god B. So they're positing that there are 2 finite beings that created the world, without ever dealing with the question of where these 2 finite beings come from. Everything finite had a source!

Hope that's clear.

PS The Ramchal in the beginning of Derech Hashem says that God's one-ness can be derived from logic. You don't need pesukim for it. I believe this is the logic.
Rabbi Moshe Zeldman lectures on a wide variety of Jewish topics to audiences around the world. He teaches Jewish philosophy at the Aish HaTorah Yeshiva in Jerusalem to both beginners and advanced students, as well as many other educational institutions in Israel. He also lectures internationally for the world-famous Discovery Seminar. Born and raised in Canada, Rabbi Zeldman did his undergraduate work in Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy at the University of Toronto. During his studies he developed an interest in political issues affecting the Jewish community, and became involved in student activism, becoming national chairman of the Jewish Students Network, and served on the board of the World Union of Jewish Students. His interests in Jewish leadership and advocacy led him eventually to pursue studies in traditional Judaism. He made aliyah in 1991 and received rabbinical ordination from Yeshivat Aish HaTorah in Jerusalem. He teaches a variety of Jewish topics for Aish HaTorah, AEPi, Birthright, the Maimonides program at Princeton, Tel Aviv and Hebrew University, NCSY, Hillel, and the esteemed University of Cambridge Cholent Society. He has helped establish outreach centers in South and Central America, has lectured to Jewish communities in over 15 countries around the world, and founded the Core18 Leaders Lab for Jewish social entrepreneurs. Rabbi Zeldman lives in Jerusalem with his family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rena

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #962

• fcmt
Rabbi Moshe Zeldman wrote:
In order for there to be 2 of them, something must distinguish god A from god B.
Thanks for your reply, please can you elaborate on "In order for there to be 2 of them, something must distinguish god A from god B"? Why must something distinguish between them?

In his post he does elaborate on it. He is saying you cannot have 2 completely infinite being who are unlimited, because the fact that another one exists limits the other one in it's actions.

- Hadas Bat-el
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Hadas Bat-el.

Proof that there is only one G-D? 5 years 7 months ago #963

• Boruch Gold
  • Thank you received: 1
This reminds me of the philisofical [yes, i dont know how to spell!] paradox(?)
Can G-d create a stone that it to heavy for him to lift?
If he can then it means He cant do everything [lift it] and if He can't then it means He cant do what He wishes!
My Rebbi [Rabbi Miller from UK] explaind that He CAN'T - but, that is a sign of Strength, not weekness.
However 2 coordinating G-ds would be condirictary to total power.
[Its like me and my wife - none of us have full control!!]
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds