Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Natural selection...

Natural selection... 7 years 10 months ago #569

• basmelech101
  • Thank you received: 6
We just covered the topic for our exams on natural selection was looking into it and it got me thinking like can we believe in it?
I know animals dont just evolve and G-d creates them. But isnt it kinda fact that the fittest survive?

Is it apikorus to believe in it??
Before I knew the best part of my life had come, it had gone…
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Natural selection... 7 years 10 months ago #570

• Ellie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Okay, this is going to be short as I'm really not a rabbi.
But the short of it, is NO, it's not apikorsus.
Basically, how the world was created et al, and with what process, isn't relevant. The point is that there is a god who created it behind it. If you look at what they write, they say that there isn't, it just happened, there is no way for it to just happen, no way for anything to just happen. If you want can send this on, I think I actually will, but basically, yes, it is fact that the fittest survive.
I will send this on because I want you to have real answers, I definitely don't know enough and am way too confused about enough that I could never really answer

Natural selection... 7 years 10 months ago #571

• basmelech101
OK, thank you!

Natural selection... 7 years 10 months ago #574

• Ellie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
This is what a rabbi replied.
Nothing wrong with survival of the fittest.
If you want I can send you a book list on evolution and it's issues.

If you want the list, hmm, ask Hadassi or Malki for my email address and I'll ask for it.

Good luck!

Natural selection... 7 years 10 months ago #575

• Malki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
Ellie, I like that you said alot...

It happens with science. They come up with all these sources, and sometimes you even get told 'this is what we as jews don't believe in'. I remember teachers saying 'we're only learning this because it's what the examiners want us to write'. But HELLO- why don't you explain to us the Jewish perspective?

I'm not too into science and all that. But I know that a lot of what they say contains many truths about the world- you mentioned natural selection but I'm also talking about things like the Big Bang Theory, dinosaurs etc... either way, they're forgetting the underlying truth- which is that it began with G-d. They (the scientists) will explain everything up to that point.

Acknowledging that everything comes from G-d means there's a power GREATER than them. And what person (especially a scientist) would want to admit that openly? Eventually that would also mean understanding that there is OBJECTIVE morality in the world, and no, you can't just do what you want!

So the scientists say: Hmmm, no. I'd prefer to be in denial thank you very much :-/
'A person can't decide to sit on the sidelines in this world. Once we're born, we're on the playing field that means we have to pick up that ball of life's challenges and begin running with it towards our goal'

Natural selection... 7 years 9 months ago #579

• basmelech101
I like all these explanations theyve made things very clear!
Thanks. Just so confusing being taught it for core science by a non jew who believes in evolution etc.... so thanks to you guys am now clearer!!!

Natural selection... 7 years 9 months ago #582

• Malki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
Kol Hakavod for even asking.

Most people just suck in everything that's fed to them.

Takes a thinking, aware person to step out of the flock of sheep and say 'holllld on a sec, what's really going on here?'
'A person can't decide to sit on the sidelines in this world. Once we're born, we're on the playing field that means we have to pick up that ball of life's challenges and begin running with it towards our goal'
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds